Sunday, July 3, 2011

Time to "Dress The Table"

Hear we go again, this is the second go at this entry... Literally about to cry, I have been working on this bloody thing for hours and for it to delete like snapping your fingers really makes me wanna throw my MAC across the floor.


kjasghajkcvnasd;hjtweio'fl'ksdnvkscjvbajkfghaslkdf
(me cussing without writing it)

When I get up in the morning I think about what I'm needing to wear. Depending on the day, I dress to the occasion and whether or not I will be meeting a client. You have to be careful, impressions are made at hello and can be ruined before your time is up. For example.



As you can see, I'm dressed for a wedding in July, IN JULY. OUTSIDE!! HOT!! The other I'm at a movie, with my boo, in freezing weather. I dress for the occasion. Just like your house you make an impression anytime someone comes over. Your house is in direct relationship with you. What people see influences their judgements on you no matter what. You can't help what people think or say, but you can give them opportunities to have great conversations about what they see in your house. I'm in dire need of a shower, my hair needs to be washed. Ugh sorry ADD attack, and look a commercial for Design Star....exactly where I need to be.

Lets get back to the idea here, Dressing Your Table. For me, my table is the perfect place to add flair anytime. My table is dressed for every holiday and any occasion. Pretty much anytime I can dress it, I do. And now that summer school is over I have time to look at the mess that is my house. My table has been neglected for some time now. Sad. So, first things first. Start with a clean slate.


 Now that you have your space cleaned, collect your available accessories that you're not using for the dressing. I literally have oodles and oodles of accessories laying around the house screaming for attention. Lay everything out that you have so you can get a good idea of what you want to use. When I did this I almost called HOARDERS myself......





Books, feathers, candles, metal urns, clay urns, baskets, more books, pine cones, STICKS, grapevine. I mean who has all these STUFF laying around in rooms not being used. Me..........Ok, so start picking things you want to use. Eliminate the stuff you think would be to much. MY starting point is always a runner. Runner's add color and texture depending on the one you choose. 

Find your centerpiece. Find that one object that everyone's eye will do directly to. Mine, an old metal hardware cart, complete with screw bins. YES PLEASE. I had this at the end, front and finally in the center of the table. Hence CENTER-piece. Now find a complement that will add not take away from your show piece. I love some good topiaries. They add just the right amount of green to any space and will never over take the show. Remember that when you are decorating, never go at it unless you have the time to dedicate to it. Never do it angry and never, ever do it drunk. I know, you will end up sanding walls in your living room and painting a chalkboard over it. It turned out great when the dust settled, but that's another time. See my ADD plays havoc on me when I try to do anything productive. During this dressing of my table, I finished 4 Dr. Peppers, finished a horrible movie and destroyed my gumball stash. My addiction, sugar. Back to the table.....


Now that I have my table in place, it's time to accessorize it. I was minimal here and very monotone. It was my mood during decorating. I love it too. Think back to the previous picture of the table empty. There was a floor mirror that I have now removed. Another space empty, what to do. Add another mirror and a console table. Where to find one, oh yeah it's in another room. I seriously have issues. I have to many things. Now that I have a table and mirror in place, time to accessorize. Lamps and those metal urns make for a very dramatic effect on a narrow table. You can put things in front of a mirror anytime, not only do you see the objects but they reflect in a dramatic way. I love the way my table dressing turned out. 











A few candles, some books and lots of pine cones!! People, no matter what anyone says, books will never go out of style. At least I hope so, I have tons of them.... :)

Remember, there is no wrong way to decorate a table, unless it's bad, so be vigilant on what you bring to the table. HA! get it. Ugh it's 3am and I have been doing this project since 10:30. 

Your dining room table is the perfect place to add flair, color and humor. Have fun and look around for inspiration. Using uncommon items in an uncommon place make for a great eclectic look.








As you can see, this is why I love doing this!

P.S. I don't care if there are errors......It's 3:20 am.

Thoughts??







3 comments:

JHP said...

My favorite line: Never do it angry, and never ever do it drunk. Wise words for so many of life's situations!
Also, I want your lamp, the second mirror...oh, and I'll take the dining table, too. You are lucky I don't know your address! ;)

JHP said...

Ugh, light fixture, not lamp. I need to go back to sleep!

Fernando said...

Looking at the third photo after the paragraph "Now that I have my table in place", I get a Christmas vibe from the chandelier, table, and decorations. I especially like that you placed the pine cones in the cart. The only piece that feels a bit out of place are the trees. Having trees feels right, but maybe a different type of tree or plant would match better. What are your thoughts?